Monday, November 14, 2011

A Thanksgiving Must ~


Does tradition dictate your holiday menu?  I'm kinda all over the board when it comes to keeping or letting go of traditions, but there is one food that is a must at our Thanksgiving feast ~ Sweet Potato Souffle.  And to be honest, I'm not sure it really qualifies as a souffle, it's probably more of a casserole, but a twitch develops every time I use this term, for in my mind, it equates to a hodge-podge of ingredients...so let's go with souffle.  

My beloved Aunt Dean is the one who opened my eyes to the delicious goodness of this root vegetable and ever since, I've been addicted.  

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 cups of cooked {mashed} sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a mixer, combine and 'whip' all ingredients together.  
Pour into individual baking dishes or one 13 x 10 baking dish.  
Prepare topping.

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 c. softened butter 

In a medium size bowl, use a fork or hands to mix topping ingredients together, 
sprinkle on top of sweet potato mixture. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes {individual baking dishes 30 minutes}.


[Reverie Daydream Images]


10 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Seriously yummy. In my family we always had See's candy on the table for special dinners...both my mom's mom and dad's mom always did it. I try to do the same when I host...although this year I might have to skip it...but most years it's a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! This looks so good! "a twitch develops" ha! I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds delicious and I too, sort of hate the sound of "casserole" it just always sounds like cheesy slop. Blah. I love mashed potatoes and stuffing and of course pumpkin pie. But my absolute favorite is waking up the next morning with left over pumpkin pie with a cup of coffee for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.........I would try just about anything you siad Mel. Looks divine and will add it to my Christmas menu. Our thanksgiving was early in October so we have to wait for turkey now until the 25th. Much love XO and xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just gave me a recipe for a cookie made with sweet potato!
    I look forward to making them and this looks lovely too.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds uh-mazing! I so want to make it, and soon!! mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks amazing... i just ate sweet potatoes with maple syrup drizzle... i could have eaten them all day... i will try this... hope this finds you well xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh...I am book marking this recipe! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. makasih bos infonya dan salam sukses

    ReplyDelete
  10. terimakasih gan infonya dan semoga bermanfaat

    ReplyDelete

Share your dreamy thoughts with me.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails